BP's Orioles Top Ten Prospect List

Pickles

Mods, feel free to move this to the Minors board. I just thought I'd put it here for now, to distract us from either b-ing about Boras, Davis, Duquette, or Angelos as the case may be.

Anyway BP's Top Ten:

1. Harvey

2. Bundy

3. Sisco

4. Givens

5. Reyes

6. Mancini

7. Mountcastle

8. Hess

9. Fenter

10. Walker

The State of the System: The healthy versions of Harvey and Bundy would pad the system?s overall strength considerably, but then that's the whole darned story of pitching prospects, inn't it?

Couple things I noticed:

This system isn't as awful as we feel it is, maybe. I've been pretty critical of DD's handling of the farm, but one thing the man does undeniably well, is find depth. This system, while lacking a premier prospect- or at least a healthy one- is deeper than in year's past.

The top six guys all grade out at OFP as 50 or better. That hasn't been the case in the past, and it hasn't been the case w other systems BP's looked at this year (only like 7 so far).

Individual notes on players:

They're more in line w my feel of Sisco than Tony for example is. The kid can hit. Flat out. If he can hit .300 in the MiLs, w good discipline, even if the power doesn't come around, and he's forced to move to a COF spot, that's still an above average regular imo. That's a pretty solid floor. (And yes, obviously, .300 isn't his absolute floor as a hitter.)

Seeing Mancini grade out at 50, with the full recognition that he's a bat first 1st baseman, is encouraging. "His feel for the barrel and demonstrated ability to drive the ball with authority to the opposite field are very appealing characteristics that separate him from other strong performers within the pool of minor-league first base-only types"

Mountcastle gets a 55 on his arm. So that's some serious disconnect from what Tony saw or heard. Next year should paint a much clearer picture on that.

They aren't high on Stewart and criticize the pick. "The stocky left-handed hitter lacks a plus tool and likely won?t stick in left field long-term. He has enough offensive upside to carry first base, but not at the level of a first-division regular. He?s more likely a second-division regular or a strong-side platooner?not exactly the profile one is hoping to acquire with a first-round pick on draft day."

They have a little write up on Rickard as well. Basically don't see him as an everyday option, but sounds like he could have value as a 4th outfielder. Compare him to Gentry.

Our best under 25 list still looks pretty good. Thanks basically to Machado, Gausman, and Schoop. Although they're not too high on Scoop.

"Schoop offers above-average regular upside that?s driven by an intriguing power-defense combo. That being said, there?s plenty of risk attached and the more realistic peak value is that of a second-division starter. Schoop posted a .271 TAv in 2015, but it?s difficult to envision him sustaining that level of performance (or anywhere near it for that matter) unless he improves his plate discipline considerably. There?s more to come with Schoop but he?ll likely always be a guy whose value never reaches the heights that his tools imply."

They have some decent words for the FO staff. Calling them "creative."

Anyway, thought I'd share.

I don't know much about Fenter. How did he go from 7th round pick to top 10 prospect with just a few innings in rookie ball?

He was an overdraft.

But yeah, his name was the big surprise for me. They say he's mid-90s w an above average curveball.

I guess its a positive that even though Givens has already had success at the ML level and it looks like he should continue to in that role, Sisco is still rated above him. I understand prospect status/projections are not the same as what someone has actually performed, but the fact that they think Sisco can be more productive/better than Givens is a plus.

On that same token, I'm surprised to see Reyes below Givens. He is younger and rawer, but from what I have heard and what the stats suggest is that he has a higher ceiling than Sisco.

I guess its a positive that even though Givens has already had success at the ML level and it looks like he should continue to in that role, Sisco is still rated above him. I understand prospect status/projections are not the same as what someone has actually performed, but the fact that they think Sisco can be more productive/better than Givens is a plus.

On that same token, I'm surprised to see Reyes below Givens. He is younger and rawer, but from what I have heard and what the stats suggest is that he has a higher ceiling than Sisco.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Givens produce a string of 2 win seasons here in short order.

Not sure why anyone would project Sisco to produce even 10 WAR in his career.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Givens produce a string of 2 win seasons here in short order.

Not sure why anyone would project Sisco to produce even 10 WAR in his career.

While I think it's far to see Givens as the surer thing, upside is pretty heavily in Sisco's corner.

Between Sisco and Heim, I've been optimistic about the future of the O's backstop situation, though I admittedly haven't been keeping close tabs on whether or not they are both projected to be impact players at the big league level.

I didnt think Sisco had much of a future as a backstop, wasn't that the scouting reports?

After looking at this list, I decided to research a few others, and it's disappointing to see that a few of the names that have been on our organization's prospect lists for years (Marin, Hart, Kline) have fallen down into the 20s.

On the other hand, I remember years ago when Machado, Schoop and Givens were considered the "big three" middle infield prospects, and now they've all made it to the big league roster together.

BP seems to belief he's got a chance.

Strange, BP back from July 2015 said this:

[TABLE=class: tool, width: 100%]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Glove[/TD]

[TD=class: mid]30[/TD]

[TD]Footwork is a mess; athleticism does not correlate behind the dish; struggles to block pitches; stabs at pitches; looks to constantly be out of sync with his pitchers; no progression in two years of watching.[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

source: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/148987-Update-on-Chance-Sisco

Archived